Director: Mr Axel Tibinyane
Tel: 061 203 2418
The Directorate’s mandate is provided for by the ‘Atomic Energy & Radiation Protection Act No 5 of 2005 and the Nuclear Science and Technology Policy of 2014. The Act provides for the adequate protection of the environment and of people in current and future generations against the harmful effects of radiation by controlling and regulating the production, processing, handling, use, storage, transport and disposal of radiation sources and radioactive materials. Whereas the policy provides for the promotion of nuclear science and technology. The two instruments are implemented by the two divisions in the Directorate.
Division: Nation Radiation Protection Authority
Deputy Director: Mr J. Eiman
Tel: 061 203 2415
- Inform the Atomic Energy Board annually about the extent of radiation exposure in Namibia
- Monitor the radiation occupational exposure of persons and the environmental radiation levels
- Inspect at such intervals as may be necessary any radiation source or nuclear material in order to assess radiation safety conditions and other requirements imposed by or under the Act
- Establish and maintain a register of radioactive materials, imported into, or produced in, Namibia, and of premises licensed to install, store and use radiation sources or dispose of radioactive waste
Division: Nuclear Applications
Deputy Director: Mr C. Mushe
Tel: 061 203 2449
- Provide secretariat support to the Atomic Energy Board
- Develop and implement policies, strategies and regulatory standards
- Facilitate compliance with the obligations of Namibia under international agreements relating to nuclear energy, nuclear weapons and protection against the harmful effects of radiation.
- Facilitate the development of capabilities and infrastructure under which the contribution of nuclear science and technology can be enhanced as a complementary tool to attain some priority areas identified in the National Developmental Plans.